Tuesday, February 1, 2011

snow and wind



It snowed last night...about six inches. There is more snow coming along with high winds. By the time it is finished we could have just shy of two feet of snow. The morning news mentioned the possibility of ten foot snow drifts in open areas. Chicago said it could be the worst storm since '67. I cleared my driveway and knew that I should be doing the same at my studio in Blue Mounds. I drove to Garfield Street in Mount Horeb instead. I have had my eyes on that street for a few years now. In the winter there are contrasts that I like. I knew what it would look like today. I had not tried to capture it before. I have a small pocket sized sketchbook that I always have with me. I draw with a pen. Today is the day. The street was covered with snow. When it is like this, at the horizon the street disappears into the sky. I like this. I also like the way that the white, snow covered earth contrasts with just about everything, and the tops of the trees are like layers of veils. Making a sketch of this is a way for me to practice my craft, and it is also a way for me to put down onto paper an idea for a future etching. I draw quickly in a small pocket sized sketch book. A snowplow pulls up behind me and wants me to move. See you in Blue Mounds...maybe in one of those ten foot snowdrifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment